top of page


Family Law encompasses legal matters related to domestic and family issues. A Family Law Attorney specializes in handling cases within this field, addressing various family-related concerns. At the Law Office of Evan S. Kass, P.L., we possess the expertise to comprehend your unique family circumstances and offer you the reassurance, counsel, and professionalism needed to navigate your case effectively.


Adoption cases involve the legal process of creating a parent-child relationship between individuals who are not biologically related, such as adopting a child or step-parent adoption.


These agreements are used by unmarried couples to define their financial and property rights while living together.


These cases address the legal rights of grandparents to visit or have custody of their grandchildren.


These legal agreements outline the financial and property rights of spouses in the event of divorce or death.


These cases address the custody of children when parents are separated or divorced. They determine where children will live and the visitation rights of noncustodial parents.


These cases address issues related to abuse or threats of abuse within family relationships. They may involve restraining orders, protective orders, and other legal measures to protect victims.


Legal name change cases involve changing a person's name, such as after marriage, divorce, or for personal reasons.


These cases deal with legal issues surrounding assisted reproductive technology, surrogacy contracts, and parental rights.


Cases involving the removal of children from their parents' care due to allegations of abuse, neglect, or unsafe living conditions.


Mediation is a dispute resolution process used to resolve family law issues without going to court. A neutral mediator helps parties negotiate agreements.


Paternity cases establish the legal father of a child, often involving genetic testing to confirm biological parentage.


1. What is paternity, and why is it important?

  • Paternity establishes legal fatherhood, ensuring that both parents share responsibilities and rights regarding their child. It's crucial for the child's well-being and financial support.

2. How is paternity legally established?

  • Paternity can be established through voluntary acknowledgment, genetic testing, or court orders, depending on the circumstances.

3. What rights and responsibilities come with paternity?

  • Legal paternity grants rights such as visitation and custody while imposing responsibilities like child support.

Name Change

4. When might someone need a name change?

  • Name changes are often sought after marriage, divorce, personal preference, or correcting discrepancies on legal documents.

5. What is the legal process for changing one's name?

  • The process involves filing a petition, meeting legal requirements, and attending a court hearing, where a judge reviews the request.

6. How long does it take to complete a name change?

  • The time frame varies, but it typically takes a few months from filing the petition to receiving a court order.

Domestic Violence

7. What is domestic violence, and how can I protect myself?

  • Domestic violence involves abusive behavior within a family or intimate relationship. To protect yourself, consider seeking a restraining order, contacting law enforcement, or seeking assistance from a domestic violence shelter or counselor.

8. What legal remedies are available for victims of domestic violence?

  • Victims can obtain restraining orders, also known as protective orders or orders of protection, to prohibit contact from the abuser and provide legal safeguards.

9. How can I report domestic violence to the authorities?

  • Contact your local law enforcement agency to report domestic violence incidents. They can guide you through the process and connect you with resources.

10. Can I pursue a civil case against my abuser in addition to criminal charges?

  • Yes, you may file a civil lawsuit seeking damages from your abuser in addition to criminal charges. Consult with an attorney to explore your legal options.

If you have additional questions or require personalized legal assistance related to paternity, name change, domestic violence, or any other family law matter, please reach out to our firm. We are here to provide the guidance and support you need during challenging times.

Family Law F.A.Q.

Palm Beach County Courthouse Arch by Evan S. Kass





500 S Australian Ave

Suite 600

West Palm Beach, FL 33401

Thanks for submitting!


bottom of page